Box Office Report: 'Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' Grosses at Least $1.6 Mil in Tuesday Night Runs
UPDATED: The English-language remake headlines Daniel Craig and Rooney Mara; Paramount's "Mission: Impossible -- Ghost Protocol does a stellar $2 million in Tuesday evening shows as it expands nationwide after limited IMAX sneaks.
David Fincher’s The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo -- which earned a glowing A CinemaScore -- grossed a solid $1.6 million from 2,700 Tuesday night runs as Sony looked to whip up word-of-mouth by launching a night early.
Comparisons are difficult, since it’s unusual to open a film in the early evening, and Dragon Tattoo’s tally could increase once final figures come in. The movie moves into a toal of 2,914 theaters on Wednesday.
Sony believes its R-rated film, produced by Scott Rudin, will be the adult alternative to other Christmas pics. Women and men over the age of 25—who are showing equal interest in Girl with the Dragon Tattoo—are expected to be the audience, although Sony has aggressively marketed to younger adults as well.
Girl with the Dragon Tattoo was officially supposed to open on Wednesday, Dec. 21, but Sony decided to go a night early.
On Wednesday, the Christmas box office gets even more crowded as Paramount and Skydance Productions’ Mission: Impossible—Ghost Protocol and Steven Spielberg’s The Adventures of Tintin, from Paramount and Sony, officially open nationwide.
Ghost Protocol launched last Friday in 425 IMAX and large-format screens, earning a stellar $15.4 million through Monday. The Tom Cruise pic earned $3.7 million on Tuesday, including $1.7 million from the existing 425 screens and another $2 million in evening shoes on approximately 2,400 new sreens.
Warner Bros.' sequel Sherlock Holmes: A Book of Shadows grossed $5.2 million on Friday for a five day cume of $49.7 million.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Johnny Depp & Amber Heard Hold Hands at 'Cabaret' Opening!
- Emma Stone & Felicity Jones Bring Girl Power to 'Amazing Spider-Man 2' Premiere!
- Andrew Garfield Rides Bus with Underprivileged Kids to 'Amazing Spider-Man 2' Premiere!
- Olivia Munn Insisted Her 'Newsroom' Character Sloane Not Wear Turtlenecks!