Giuliana Rancic Announces Plans for Double Mastectomy (Video)
The E! host appeared on NBC’s "Today" with her husband on Monday.
Giuliana Rancic announced on Monday that she plans to undergo a double mastectomy and immediate reconstruction after lumpectomies failed to completely rid her of her cancer.
The E! host appeared with her husband, Bill Rancic, on NBC’s Today on Monday. She said that they had decided to take a more aggressive approach to fighting the cancer by going for a double mastectomy rather than another lumpectomy and radiation.
“For me, it was important to get the cancer out," she said. "That's what I wanted to do, just get it out."
When asked if the desire to have children was a factor, the couple said it did. If she had chosen to go with another lumpectomy and radiation, she would have to delay having a baby for several years. Rancic, 36, said it was part of the reason, but not the entire reason.
"At the end, to be honest, all it came down to was just choosing to live, and not looking over my shoulder for the rest of my life," Rancic said.
Rancic first announced that she was battling breast cancer in October. She had a double lumpectomy on Tuesday, Oct. 18 – during which she also had lymph nodes removed for biopsy – and then returned back to work the following Monday.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR