Gotye on 'Glee' Cover: It Sounded 'Dinky and Wrong'
The Australian singer isn't impressed with the Fox show's rendition of his popular song "Somebody That I Used to Know."
Glee covered Gotye's hit single "Somebody That I Used to Know" on a recent episode, but there's one person who isn't a fan of how they did it: the singer himself.
The 31-year-old Australian artist, whose real name is Wally de Backer, explained why he wasn't 100 percent behind the Glee performance backstage at L.A.'s Nokia Theatre this past weekend.
"They did such a faithful arrangement of the instrumentals but the vocals were that pop Glee style, ultra-dry, sounded pretty tuned and the rock has no real sense," he told the Sunday Mail, "like it's playing to you from a cardboard box."
The singer also said, as the Sunday Herald Sun reports, "It made it sound dinky and wrong."
During the episode "Big Brother" that aired April 10, guest star Matt Bomer and Glee's Darren Criss were seen performing "Somebody That I Used to Know" in the school auditorium, after which the two reconciled.
"Somebody That I Used to Know" climbed to the top of the Billboard 100 singles chart after Glee aired and his appearance on Saturday Night Live, making Gotye the fourth Australian artist to have a No. 1 song. The music video has racked up more than 174.5 million views on YouTube.
Watch the Glee performance below:
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- The Hollywood Reporter's Top 25 Stylist, Revealed
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Grant Gustin Is Proud & Stoked to Wear 'Flash' Costume!
- Angelina Jolie Reveals She Will Have Another Preventative Cancer Surgery
- Shailene Woodley Slams 'Twilight' to 'Teen Vogue': It's About An Unhealthy, Toxic Relationship
- Sarah Michelle Gellar & James Wolk Are 'The Crazy Ones' at Hall of Fame Gala!