'Glee's' Naya Rivera To Release Solo Album
The actress-singer who plays the sassy Santana has signed a deal with Columbia Records.
Although often out-shined by her cast-mates on the Fox hit Glee, Naya Rivera is surprising fans by being one of the first to announce a record deal with Columbia Records. Theresa Labarbera Whites, senior vp of A&R at the label, confirmed the news, noting that Rivera will begin working on her debut album after the Glee! Live! tour wraps in late June.
On the series, 24-year-old Rivera plays Santana Lopez, a malicious former cheerleader at McKinley High whose complex psyche blends aggression, sexuality and good old bitchiness. In season 2, Santana saw a bigger presence on the show as she struggled to reveal her lesbian identity.
On the show, Santana has sung everything from Amy Winehouse ("Valerie") to Lady Gaga ("Bad Romance") to Monica ("The Boy Is Mine"), but the musical style of her forthcoming debut remains vague. In the past, Rivera has cited Michael Jackson and Paula Abdul as heavy influences.
Rivera's deal follows recently released solo albums by costars Matthew Morrison, who's signed to Universal-owned Mercury Records, and Mark Salling, who opted for the independent route.
Sony Music-owned Columbia has first dibs on most Glee stars.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR