Glenn Beck's TheBlaze Lays Off Dozens of Staffers

J Pat Carter/Getty Images
Glenn Beck

The host announced that 20 percent of his staff was dismissed on Thursday.

Despite an uptick of interest in political news and the ascendant trajectory of conservative media outlets like Breitbart News, Glenn Beck's political network, TheBlaze, continues to struggle and shed jobs.

On Thursday afternoon, Beck announced that 20 percent of the combined workforce of TheBlaze and parent company Mercury Radio Arts had been dismissed.

A source with knowledge of the situation pegged the number of employees affected at around 50, based on recent conversations about cutbacks. 

"We are losing a lot of talented and committed colleagues, who are some of the best human beings I know — some have been friends of mine for 30 years," Beck wrote in his note. "It’s a difficult day for some exceptional people that mean a lot to me personally, my family, and the entire company."

TheBlaze, which sources said used to generate between $20 million to $30 million in annual revenue, is thought to be losing both free readers and digital subscribers these days. The right-skewing political network, which has been seen as something of a model for other would-be OTT experimenters like Bill O'Reilly, also has a linear TV channel.

Beck, in the note, made reference to the structural challenges facing the media industry, but said he is undeterred. "When someone — anyone — tells me that something can’t be done, it only makes me more determined to prove them wrong," he wrote.

A former Fox News host, Beck is thought to still have a devoted audience, ensuring that TheBlaze will always have at least a modest base of consumer support.

comments powered by Disqus