Global Online TV and Video Revenues Predicted to Nudge $22 Billion by 2016
New research predicts a more than five-fold increase over the next five years.
LONDON - Global online TV and video revenues will grow more than five-fold to $21.52 billion in 2016 up from $3.48 billion recorded in 2010, according to new a new report from London-based analyst firm Digital TV Research.
Rapid growth in the availability of PC- and TV-based online television - both from local and international players - is driving the global expansion in the sector.
By 2016 the report predicts that 415 million homes in 40 countries will watch shows online up from 177 million in 2010.
The U.S. will remain the dominant territory for online TV and video revenues, with 54 percent of the global market in 2010 - but this will drop to around 36 percent of the total global market in 2016 as China and other territories become meaningful consumers of online video. Over the five-year period China’s online television and video revenues are predicted to surge from $50 million in 2010 to $1.38 billion in 2016.
“The OTT television and video sector is on the brink of a huge take-off," said report author Simon Murray, who said expansion was being driven by multiple factors including international expansion, increased demand and subscription services and emerging new content partnerships.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Sheila MacRae Dead: 'Honeymooners' Actress Dies At 92
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game