'The Godfather' Returns to the Video Game Space
Oceanside Interactive launches "The Godfather: Empire" mobile game, which is based on the film franchise, for Apple's iPhone and iPod Touch.
It's been almost two years since gamers last took part in a video game based on Francis Ford Coppola's The Godfather film franchise. But the Corleones are back in a new mobile game from Oceanside Interactive, The Godfather: Empire, for Apple's iPhone and iPod Touch.
Electronic Arts sold over 2.1 million copies of The Godfather and The Godfather II in the U.S. across game consoles and PCs, according to research tracking firm NPD Group. EA worked with actors from the original film, including James Caan, Robert Duvall, Abe Vigoda and John Martino, who reprised their roles for the games. The first game was released in September 2006 and the second in April 2009. EA mobile released The Godfather: The Mobile Game in 2008, which included 10 mini-games that focused on memorable scenes from the original film.
Based on Paramount Pictures' iconic movie franchise, the new mobile game lets players take on the role of a Corleone family member challenged with recruiting new associates, bringing down rivals and building the most powerful organization in 1940s New York.
"Fans on the go will not only have the opportunity to interact with members of the Corleone family but also prove they have what it takes to ascend in the organization by recruiting friends to play along," said Mike Betti, co-founder of Oceanside Interactive.
The gameplay focuses on building up the family's power by interacting with over 200 associates, ranging from Mafia affiliates to corrupt politicians. Players can take advantage of weekly content updates for added muscle in their pursuit of street dominance. A social component allows gamers to recruit their real-life friends to join the fray, adding even more strength to their organization while leveling up more rapidly. Gifting options are also available, allowing fans to unlock special jobs and associates.
Oceanside Interactive's first iPhone title, MyDinos Go! has nearly 1 million registered players. This is the company's first Hollywood license.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Neil Patrick Harris is the Theatrical Man of the Year at Hasty Pudding Awards!
- President Barack Obama & Zach Galifianakis Throw Insults Back & Forth for 'Between Two Ferns' (Video)
- Kristen Bell Makes a Switcheroo for 'Veronica Mars' Premiere After Party!
- Lena Dunham to 'Glamour': I Don't Know if I Want to Continue Acting