Golden Globes: Best Song, Billy Bob Thornton, Fey & Poehler Top Social Moments
Ricky Gervais was also a hit on Facebook and TiVo
Selma's only Golden Globe win, when Common and John Legend accepted the award for best original song ("Glory"), was the most popular moment from the show on social media.
The musicians' victory and surprise guest Prince presenting them with their award had the most Facebook interactions and drove the most Twitter conversation. Billy Bob Thornton was another popular winner on Facebook and Twitter, with the Fargo star's best actor in a miniseries win the third-most-discussed show moment on Twitter and the fourth-most-popular moment in terms of Facebook interactions. Facebook users also seemed interested in the presentation of the award, by Jennifer Lopez and Jeremy Renner, in which he referenced Lopez's own "Globes."
Another miniseries winner also drove conversation on Twitter, with Matt Bomer's best supporting actor win for his role in HBO's The Normal Heart ranking as the second-most-talked-about moment on the microblogging platform. On Facebook, the best original song win was followed by Fifty Shades of Grey stars Jamie Dornan and Dakota Johnson presenting Downton Abbey's Joanne Froggatt with the best supporting actress award and Transparent winning best comedy series as moments with the second- and third-most social interactions.
The fifth- and sixth-most-popular moments on Facebook were Ricky Gervais' presentation of the best actress in a motion picture, musical or comedy, award to Amy Adams and Amy Poehler and Tina Fey's opening monologue. Poehler, Fey and one of their targets — the evening's Cecil B. De Mille Award winner George Clooney — were the most-tweeted-about stars during the show. (During the red-carpet arrivals, however, everyone was tweeting about Adams, Jennifer Lopez and Clooney's wife, Amal).
The Golden Globes produced 17 million interactions from 8 million people on Facebook on Sunday. On Twitter, there were 2.6 million tweets worldwide about the show. Twitter also put together this interactive look at the most retweeted photos.
Fey, Poehler and Clooney were also the stars of many of TiVo's most rewatched moments. Fey's dig at Clooney, by listing Amal's impressive résumé and then saying, "So tonight her husband is getting a lifetime achievement award!" was the most rewatched moment, according to TiVo. The hosts' second interaction with Margaret Cho's North Korean journalist, in which she explained how they put on a show in North Korea, with various features Sunday night's telecast lacked, was the fourth-most-rewatched TiVo moment. And Clooney's Cecil B. DeMille Award win, and Julianna Margulies and Don Cheadle presenting him with the prize, was the fifth-most-rewatched moment. Gervais' introduction when he presented Adams with her award and Gina Rodriguez's win round out TiVo's top five list.
See more Golden Globes' Most Glittery Affairs
Check out Facebook, Twitter and TiVo's data below.
Facebook's top Golden Globes moments:
1. Prince presents and Common & John Legend win for Best Original Song
2. Jamie Dornan & Dakota Johnson present and Joanne Frogatt wins Best Supporting Actress
3. Transparent wins Best Comedy or Musical
4. Jennifer Lopez & Jeremy Renner present and Billy Bob Thornton wins for Best Actor in a Miniseries
5. Ricky Gervais presents and Amy Adams wins for Best Actress in a Musical or Comedy
6. Amy Poehler & Tina Fey opening monologue
7. Jared Leto presents and Patricia Arquette wins for Best Supporting Actress
8. Kevin Spacey wins Best Actor, Drama, for House of Cards
9. Bill Hader & Kristen Wiig present and Birdman wins for Best Original Screenplay
10. Lily Tomlin & Jane Fonda present and Jeffrey Tambor wins for Best Actor in a Comedy
Twitter moments that drove the most conversation:
1. “Glory” (Selma) wins Best Original Song
2. Matt Bomer (The Normal Heart) wins Best Supporting Actor in a Miniseries
3. Billy Bob Thornton (Fargo) wins Best Actor in a Miniseries
1. Amy Poehler
2. Tina Fey
3. George Clooney
Most-tweeted-about red-carpet celebs:
1. Amy Adams
2. Jennifer Lopez
3. Amal Clooney
TiVo's most rewatched moments:
1. 8:05 p.m. – During their opening monologue, Tina Fey announced that George Clooney married Amal Ramzi Alamuddin this year. She went on to say, “Amal is a human rights lawyer who worked on the Enron case, was an advisor to Kofi Annan regarding Syria, and was selected for a three-person U.N. commission investigating rules of war violations in the Gaza Strip. So tonight her husband is getting a lifetime achievement award!”
2. 8:37 p.m. – In a surprise win, Gina Rodriguez from Jane the Virgin won the Golden Globe for Best Actress in a TV series, Comedy.
3. 9:03 p.m. – Ricky Gervais comes out to present an award and spends a few minutes offending the audience because “you’re better than ordinary people. … Famous people are above the law. … Streep, Clooney, I’m not even looking at Katie Holmes.”
4. 9:27 p.m. – North Korean soldier (Margaret Cho) joins Amy and Tina onstage and explains to them how they have fun in North Korea.
5. 10:06 p.m. – Julianna Margulies and Don Cheadle present George Clooney with this year’s Cecil B. DeMille Award.