Golden Globes Host Ricky Gervais Makes 'Gay' Joke About 'Famous Scientologists'
The comedian says "my lawyers helped me with the wording" of a potentially inflammatory quip.
Golden Globes host Ricky Gervais didn't hold back in his monologue at the start of the awards show Sunday night, making a homosexual joke in reference to "famous Scientologists."
During his opening jokes, Gervais noted that the cast of I Love You, Philip Morris was not nominated.
"Jim Carrey and Ewan McGregor -- two heterosexual actors pretending to be gay, so the complete opposite of some famous scientologists then," Gervais said before adding, "My lawyers helped me with the wording of that joke. They’re not here."
Although the names were not mentioned, it was clear in the room whom he was referring to as the audience broke into somewhat uncomfortable laughter.
He also took aim at Charlie Sheen: "Get ready for a night of partying and heavy drinking. Or as Charlie Sheen calls it -- breakfast!"
And Gervais poked fun at The Tourist: "I'd like to quash this ridiculous rumor going around that the only reason The Tourist was nominated was so that the foreign press could hang out with Johnny Depp and Angelina Jolie. That is rubbish. That is not the only reason. They also accepted bribes."
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR