Google Beats Wall Street Estimates in Fourth Quarter
Psy's "Gangnam Style," YouTube's most-viewed video ever at 1.23 billion and counting, has generated $8 million in ad sales.
Google reported fourth-quarter earnings that were stronger than the expectations of analysts, and its stock was surging 5 percent after the closing bell Tuesday.
The company that operates the world's dominant Internet search engine said it earned $10.65 per share in the quarter, up 13 percent year-over-year, while analysts expected about $10.50. Net income rose 7 percent to $2.9 billion, and revenue was up 36 percent to $14.4 billion.
On a conference call with analysts, chief business officer Nikesh Arora said that Psy's "Gangnam Style" is the most-watched video of all time (1.23 billion and counting) and that it generated $8 million in advertising deals.
"Video is now baked into the core of our products," Arora said.
Arora said that in 2012, viewers watched about 4 billion hours worth of YouTube videos each month.
Probably the most closely watched aspect of Google's business is the cost that advertisers pay each time a user clicks their ad, because it has been falling for about a year-and-a-half as more users surf the Internet on mobile devices.
While the average cost-per-click fell 6 percent compared with the same quarter a year ago, it actually rose 2 percent over what it was in the third quarter, which seemed to impress investors and analysts.
Google shares fell $1.64 to $702.87 during the regular session on Tuesday but surged $36 after the closing bell when financial results were released.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- 'Jem & the Holograms' Leading Cast Revealed: Aubrey Peeples, Stefanie Scott, & More!
- Novak Djokovic Expecting First Child with Fiancee Jelena Ristic!
- Suki Waterhouse Gets Leggy at the Burberry Shanghai Launch with Cara Delevingne
- Isabel Lucas is Picture Perfect with Jim Sturgess at Tribeca Film Fest!