Google CEO Larry Page Takes Subtle Swipes at Facebook After Announcing Record Revenue
The Internet's top search company says its Google+ social network is better than the competition because it's more like 'real life.'
Google cofounder and CEO Larry Page boasted Thursday of his company’s product designed to challenge Facebook, dubbed Google+, stressing multiple times that the fledgling social network is based on “real life.”
Even though Google+ is still in the invitation-only phase, 10 million people are using it, and they share and receive about 1 billion items a day delivered with “precision,” Page said, because, “In real life, we share different things with different people.”
Page said Google+ was designed to be a product people use at least twice a day, “like a toothbrush.”
Page was speaking on a conference call with Wall Street analysts to discuss Google’s second-quarter earnings. The company reported 32% revenue growth to a quarterly record $9 billion as net income rose to $2.51 billion from $1.84 billion in the same frame last year.
The stock soared on disclosure of the results, up 12% in after-hours trading after having closed down 2% to $528.94 during the regular session.
Google said paid clicks rose 18% year over year but were down 2% compared to the first quarter.
Barely mentioned on Thursday’s conference call was Google’s video asset, YouTube, and none of the Wall Street analysts on the call asked whether Google was interested in acquiring YouTube competitor Hulu, as has been rumored.
That was probably fine with Page, who seemed more focused on giving slight digs at Facebook – though not by name – while talking up Google+.
“We have been really excited about Google+ really improving the overall social experience and making it more like how you would share in real life. And that’s really a different product than is out there now,” he said.
“People really like being able to share with more discreet groups in an easy way and intuitive way,” he said.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- 5 Reasons The 'Broad City' Women Are The Stoner Heroines You've Been Waiting For
- Justin Bieber And Selena Gomez's Sexy Dance Probably Means They're Dating Again
- Eva Tamargo Of 'Tyler Perry's The Haves And The Have Nots' Explains Why She Likes Being A TV Villain (VIDEO)
- U2 Album Delay Rumors Denied By Band's Rep
- Lena Dunham to 'Glamour': I Don't Know if I Want to Continue Acting
- Kit Harington's Muscles Bulge Out of His Shirt for 'Men's Health UK' April 2014
- Eva Longoria & Oprah Winfrey Support Maria Shriver at 'Paycheck to Paycheck' Screening!
- Rosario Dawson & America Ferrera Are Feeling Blue at 'Cesar Chavez' SXSW Premiere!