4 Things We Can Expect from the Google Music Announcement
Sharing and the presence of Warner Music would boost the new service.
While the finer points of Google's new music-download store won't be known until the press conference (scheduled for 5 p.m. ET Wednesday in Los Angeles), some aspects have become clear from industry sources and media reports over the last few weeks.
First, sharing looks to be central to the addition of a download store to Google Music, according Billboard.biz's sources as well as numerous media reports. The existing cloud-based locker service can't facilitate sharing because Google didn't acquire the licenses. With licenses in tow, the new Google Music will allow some short of sharing amongst users.
Second, Warner could be the lone major label holdout at launch. Sony Music will be on board for Wednesday's launch, according to a report in the Wall Street Journal published Tuesday evening. Universal Music Group and EMI are widely reported to have finalized deals already.
Third, expect mobile to be a cornerstone of Google's music plans. The Android operating system represents Google's push into mobile devices, and the company needs to keep up with the cloud-based ambitions of Apple and Amazon. A Music Beta app is already available for Android devices.
Five Ways to Improve Google Music Beta
Fourth, look for search and social to play a role in Google's music activities. Google does, of course, dominate the search marketplace. And it has a new social network, Google+, that needs some sort of music play to keep up with Facebook's heavy activity in the music sphere.
How correct is all of the above? We'll find out later today …
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- Glenn Beck Moves Into Movie Production (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Sofia Vergara Flaunts Amazing Bikini Body & Rock Hard Abs for 'Women's Health'! (Exclusive Pic)
- January Jones & Christina Hendricks: Ladies of 'Mad Men' Help Launch Jimmy Choo's CHOO.08
- Jenny McCarthy & Donnie Wahlberg Engaged, Announce News on 'The View' - See Her Engagement Ring Here!
- Tori Spelling Speaks for First Time About Unfaithful Husband Dean McDermott