Google 'powering ahead' with YouTube

Empty

LONDON -- Patrick Walker, Google's European head of video content partnerships, said it is "business as usual" despite the $1 billion copyright lawsuit filed against the search giant by Viacom.

Speaking at the MediaGuardian Changing Media summit on Thursday, Walker said "we're powering ahead and it's business as usual" when asked about the landmark suit filed last week.

Walker told an audience of gathered media executives that Google "has been fulfilling its legal obligations" under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act and cited the BBC's recent deal with Google and YouTube as an alternate way to resolve copyright issues.

"Viacom took one approach, and people like the BBC have taken another approach," he said.

The pubcaster is launching three new channels on YouTube featuring clips of current and archive BBC shows as well as a news channel.

"We're not slowing down in any way. It goes to tell that the usage of YouTube has grown significantly from the Viacom announcement. We don't see it impacting our business," Walker said.

He said the case could take "several years" to resolve.
comments powered by Disqus