Google TV adds Nielsen data
Related story: Google maneuvers for DoubleClick approval
NEW YORK -- Google and the Nielsen Co. said Wednesday that they have established a multiyear partnership that initially will focus on collaborating on the search giant's TV Ads platform.
Google TV Ads launched in May in collaboration with EchoStar's Dish service and provides a Web-based platform for companies to buy, sell, measure and deliver TV spots. Google uses the set-top-box data secured from Dish to tell clients how many people are watching their ads and for how long.
Google's TV Ads platform was seen by some at first as an end run around Nielsen. Under the new partnership, though, Nielsen will supplement the Google data aggregated from the set-top boxes with demographics data.
Google TV Ads director Mike Steib called this the "next major step" in the platform and added that it will make the marketing information more relevant to clients.
Although they wouldn't say anything more specific, both companies also see other potential areas of collaboration in measuring online and other media.
"We're a leader in our space, and Google is as well," said Dave Thomas, president of media client services at Nielsen. "This collaboration is going to allow both companies to do things that neither would be able to accomplish on a unilateral basis."
Thomas also said that discussions have been initiated about partnerships beyond the TV Ads platform.
"There are a lot of areas where there's overlap in what we do and provide and what Nielsen does and provide," Steib said.
Nielsen is the parent company of The Hollywood Reporter.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game
- George Lopez Returns With 'Saint George' And Talks Diversity On Television (VIDEO)
- Brittany Murphy & Dakota Fanning Were The Perfect Couple In 'Uptown Girls'