YouTube to Acquire 10 Percent Stake in Vevo (Report)
The Google online video site is expected to invest about $50 million and renew a distribution agreement with the Internet music venture of Universal Music and Sony.
Google-owned YouTube is set to take a stake of around 10 percent in online music destination Vevo, AllThingsD reported.
The deal on the table would include an investment worth an estimated $50 million and the renewal of a distribution agreement, which has been in place for three years. The renewal would keep hundreds of millions of music clips and videos on YouTube.
The overall deal hasn’t been signed and could still be derailed at the last minute, AllThingsD said.
Vevo was founded by music majors Universal Music Group, part of Vivendi, and Sony Music and launched in late 2009. The two labels are investors in Vevo along with Abu Dhabi Media. EMI is also providing music to the joint venture.
Vevo, which has an online video service backed by the other major global record company label Warner Music to look at improving the revenues it can feed back to the music industry, has also looked at distribution deals with Facebook and Viacom/MTV, according to past reports.
Google last year also invested $35 million into Machinima, a Web video network aimed at gamers, that relies on YouTube for distribution.
"While we don't comment on individual negotiations, we always hope to renew our relationships with valuable partners, so we can continue to provide YouTube users with the best possible music experience," said a YouTube spokeswoman.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game
- George Lopez Returns With 'Saint George' And Talks Diversity On Television (VIDEO)
- Brittany Murphy & Dakota Fanning Were The Perfect Couple In 'Uptown Girls'
- Ian Somerhalder Sings Smokey Robinson Classic in 'Esquire China' Behind the Scene Video - Watch Now!
- 'Glee'Actor Harry Shum Jr. is Engaged to Girlfriend Shelby Rabara!
- Nicole Richie Proudly Rocks New Purple Hair at Lunch with Joel Madden!
- Zooey Deschanel's 'New Girl' & Mindy Kaling's 'Mindy Project' Get Early Renewals From Fox!