Former 'Gossip Girl' Intern Progressing After Losing Hand in Propeller Accident (Video)
The parents of Lauren Scruggs appeared on “Good Morning America” to offer an update on their daughter’s condition.
Model and fashion blogger Lauren Scruggs, who served as an intern for the CW’s Gossip Girl, is making progress after losing her hand in a tragic accident.
The 23-year-old sustained serious injuries to the left side of her body after accidentally walking into a moving plane propeller on Saturday. Lauren underwent facial and shoulder reconstruction and had her hand amputated following the incident.
“Yesterday was a good day, there was a lot of really positive progress,” Lauren’s father, Jeff Scruggs, said on Good Morning America Tuesday. “They took out her tube in the afternoon. She didn’t speak right away… I said Lauren, will you say ‘hi’ to Daddy, and she goes, ‘hi.’ Later she told one of Cheryl’s [Lauren’s mother] sisters that she loves her. It’s so encouraging to us. She’s really uncomfortable as you can imagine.”
“They’re telling us it’s going to be a long recovery,” he continued. “Obviously she’s had a lot of trauma to her head, and she lost her left hand and her left eye is questionable. We’re praying that she’ll regain her sight.”
The Plano, Texas native is currently in stable condition at Parkland Hospital in Dallas. Her parents speculate that Lauren, who was riding the prop plane to get an aerial view of the city’s Christmas lights, had turned around to thank the pilot after exiting the aircraft.
“I was inside, and someone came in and told me she had gotten hit,” Lauren’s mother tearfully recalled. “I was there until the care flight got there. I was just able to hold her and… that’s the toughest part of it all, just seeing her waiting there and waiting for the help. All I could do was tell her that I love her.”
The FAA is currently investigating the accident, which occurred at a private airport in McKinney, Texas. In addition to her previous duties in the Gossip Girl wardrobe department, Lauren founded the Lolo fashion blog and served as in intern for the Michael Kors showroom.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Echoes Of The Outlaw Roadshow: Talking with Counting Crows' Adam Duritz and Toad The Wet Spocket's Glen Phillips
- Smells like Nostalgia: A Look at the Nirvana Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction
- Netflix Joining Programming Lineup Of 3 U.S. Cable-TV Services
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Recap: No Good News in 'Change of Heart'