'Gossip Girl' Star Penn Badgley to Play Jeff Buckley on Big Screen
The actor is set to headline "Greetings from Tim Buckley."
Gossip Girl star Penn Badgley will play singer/songwriter Jeff Buckley in the feature Greetings from Tim Buckley, which Dan Algrant is directing.
Written by Algrant, Emma Sheanshang and David Brendel, the film will tell the true story of the days leading up to Jeff Buckley’s 1991 appearance at his father’s tribute concert in St. Ann’s Church. Through a romance with a young woman working at the concert, he comes to understand the father who abandoned him and his cathartic performance launches his career.
“In its purest form this is a father and son story, a rite of passage that is made possible by a romantic journey Jeff finds himself on. We see Jeff accepting who he is to become and laying to rest the ghost of his father while ultimately finding his voice. We had been searching well over a year for an actor that can come close to Jeff’s spirit while also having the serious musical chops required to authentically tell this story. Penn’s audition blew us away and we knew we found our star,” Smuggler Films' Patrick Milling Smith said in an officially announcing the casting on Monday.
The project will be produced by Smuggler Films, A-Z Prods. and Second Chance Prods. Producing are Milling Smith, John N. Hart and Fred Zollo. Exec producers are Brian Carmody, Jill Footlick and Ben Limberg.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR