Snoop Dogg to Headline Sony's 10th Annual Gran Turismo Awards in Vegas
The hip-hop star and gamer will perform at Rain Nightclub in The Palms Casino Resort.
Snoop Lion (formerly Snoop Dogg) has become the go-to celebrity for game publishers this year. Sony Computer Entertainment America is the latest game maker to enlist the rapper to help promote a game, in this case Gran Turismo 5.
Snoop was at E3 in June to help Namco Bandai market Tekken Tag Tournament 2, a game he provided music for and appears in. More recently, Electronic Arts enlisted Snoop to appear in EA Sports FIFIA Soccer 2012 commercials and act as a spokesman for the game’s New York Launch.
SCEA has hired Snoop to perform at Rain Nightclub in The Palms Casino Resort in Las Vegas on Nov. 1. The rapper will perform at the 10th annual Gran Turismo Awards, which take place at SEMA (Specialty Equipment Market Association) every year.
"Gran Turismo is the most real-deal driving game I have ever experienced," Snoop said. "I have been a PlayStation fan for years and am excited to help make this 10th-year celebration for the Gran Turismo Awards into an off-the-hook affair."
The Gran Turismo Awards celebrate continuing excellence and innovation in the automotive industry. Gran Turismo creator Kazunori Yamauchi flies to Sin City each year to hand-pick a customized vehicle that will appear as a drivable car in a future Gran Turismo game. The hottest rides at SEMA will compete for the opportunity to win GT Awards in five categories: best truck or SUV, best hot rod, best domestic automobile, best European import and best Asian import. Each winner will take home a custom-etched PlayStation 3 console, with the grand prize winner getting a virtual representation of their vehicle in the game franchise.
"For the past 10 years, the Gran Turismo Awards has recognized and rewarded automotive enthusiasts who demonstrate passion and enthusiasm for video games, and amazing car design and performance," said Yamauchi, famed creator of the Gran Turismo franchise and president of Polyphony Digital. "This year, we reward attendees with amazing prizes, as well as an award-worthy musical performance by Snoop Dogg."
Sony has sold more than 65 million copies worldwide of Gran Turismo games on PlayStation, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3 and PSP over the years. The most recent game, GT5, was a huge hit with sales of more than 7.5 million copies. Polyphony Digital is currently working on GT6.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Sheila MacRae Dead: 'Honeymooners' Actress Dies At 92
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game