'Gravity,' '12 Years a Slave' Among Winners at Final Draft Screenwriters Choice Awards
"Modern Family" and "Breaking Bad" are recognized in the TV categories.
Final Draft announced the winners of its Screenwriters Choice Awards Tuesday night, closing the second year of its annual ceremony.
The screenwriting software company invited customers to cast their votes for category winners -- selected by a committee of working writers -- on an open forum, giving industry screenwriters the final say.
Alfonso and Jonas Cuaron received the best original screenplay award for Gravity while John Ridley took home the best adapted screenplay award for his work in 12 Years a Slave.
Modern Family, created by Steven Levitan and Christopher Lloyd, was named the best television comedy of 2013, and Vince Gilligan’s Breaking Bad was recognized as the best television drama.
“We at Final Draft salute all the film and TV writers who contributed such great work in 2013,” Final Draft CEO Mark Madnick said. “The winners and nominees tonight represent the best of the best, and their work drives the engine of this industry. We could not be prouder to host this awards show for these great artists.”
Full list of winners and nominees:
Best Original Screenplay: Gravity — Alfonso Cuarón & Jonás Cuarón (winner)
Blue Jasmine - Woody Allen
Her - Spike Jonze
Inside Llewyn Davis - Joel Coen & Ethan Coen
Nebraska - Bob Nelson
Best Adapted Screenplay: 12 Years a Slave — John Ridley (winner)
Before Midnight - Richard Linklater & Julie Delpy & Ethan Hawke (Kim Krizan (characters))
Captain Phillips - Billy Ray (based on the book A Captain's Duty: Somali Pirates, Navy SEALS,and Dangerous Days at Sea by Richard Phillips & Stephan Talty)
Philomena - Steve Coogan, Jeff Pope (based on the book The Lost Child of Philomena Lee by Martin Sixsmith)
The Wolf of Wall Street - Terence Winter (based on the book The Wolf of Wall Street by Jordan Belfort)
Best Television Comedy: Modern Family — Steven Levitan, Christopher Lloyd (series creators) (winner)
Arrested Development - Mitchell Hurwitz (series creator)
Girls - Lena Dunham (series creator)
Parks and Recreation - Greg Daniels, Michael Schur (series creators)
Veep - Armando Iannucci (series creator)
Best Television Drama: Breaking Bad — Vince Gilligan (series creator) (winner)
Downton Abbey - Julian Fellowes (series creator)
Game of Thrones - David Benioff, D.B. Weiss (series creators)
House of Cards - Beau Willimon (series creator)
Mad Men - Matthew Weiner (series creator)
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Sheila MacRae Dead: 'Honeymooners' Actress Dies At 92
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game