'Great Gatsby' Tops Home Entertainment Charts
Michael Bay's "Pain & Gain" comes in at No. 2, while "Epic" falls to No. 3.
A crop of high-profile theatricals arrived in video stores in what for many was the final week of summer vacation, which explains why the home video charts for the week ending Sept. 1 are dominated by new releases.
Six of the 10 top-selling discs on the Nielsen VideoScan First Alert chart, which tracks overall disc sales, Blu-ray Disc and DVD combined, are new releases. The same goes for Nielsen’s dedicated Blu-ray Disc sales chart.
At the head of the pack, on both charts: Warner Home Video’s gorgeous The Great Gatsby, the acclaimed cinematic retelling of the classic F. Scott Fitzgerald novel. The film, directed by Baz Luhrmann and starring Leonardo DiCaprio as the tragic millionaire, earned $144.8 million in U.S. theaters.
Debuting at No. 2, also on both charts: Paramount’s Pain & Gain, a comic crime drama from Michael Bay that stars Mark Wahlberg, Dwayne Johnson and Ed Harris and grossed just under $50 million at the box office.
The previous week’s top-selling disc, 20th Century Fox’s Epic, slipped to No. 3 on both charts, while season three of the popular zombie TV show The Walking Dead, distributed on disc by Anchor Bay, debuted at No. 4 on both sales charts.
Other new releases that made it into the top 10 include Disney’sSuper Buddies (No. 5 First Alert, No. 6 Blu-ray Disc), season 5 of the biker TV drama Sons of Anarchy, from 20th Century Fox (No. 6 on First Alert and No. 5 on the Blu-ray Disc chart), Universal Studios' direct-to-video Barbie Mariposa & the Fairy Princess (No. 7 on First Alert), and Disney’s new-to-Blu-ray The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (No. 10 on the Blu-ray Disc chart.)
On Home Media Magazine’s rental chart, Pain & Gain debuted at No. 1, bumping Sony Pictures’ Olympus Has Fallen to No. 2 after two weeks in the top spot. Warner’s Jackie Robinson biopic 42 slipped from No. 2 to No. 3, while Lionsgate’s Mud held steady at No. 4. Anchor Bay’s Scary Movie V finished off the top 5, slipping from No. 3 the prior week.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Shakira Reveals Why Music Videos With Men Are 'Out Of the Question'
- Even Juan Pablo Thinks This Season Of 'The Bachelor' Has Been A Soap Opera
- DJ Cassidy Shares Details On New Album, 'Paradise Royale,' And The Resurgence Of Disco
- 7-Year-Old Stuns Viewers When She Sings 'Gloomy Sunday' By Billie Holiday (VIDEO)