'Green Acres' Actor Frank Cady Dies at 96
The actor played general-store owner Sam Drucker on the classic sitcom as well as in "Petticoat Junction" and "The Beverly Hillbillies."
Frank Cady, a character actor who is best known for playing general-store owner Sam Drucker on the classic sitcom Green Acres, has died. He was 96.
Cady's daughter Catherine Turk told the Los Angeles Times that her father died Friday at his home in Wilsonville, Ore., but gave no specific cause of death.
Cady played Drucker for the entire run of Green Acres, which aired on CBS from 1965-71. The show starred Eva Gabor and Eddie Albert as a Manhattan couple who moved to a farm in Hooterville, which was populated by a slew of loony residents.
Cady went on to portray the same character on other sitcoms including Petticoat Junction and The Beverly Hillbillies and reprised the role for the 1990 TV movie Return to Green Acres.
He also recurred on The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet, playing Doc Williams, and appeared in such movies as Alfred Hitchcock's Rear Window.
The actor was born Sept. 8, 1915, in Susanville, Calif., and studied drama at Stanford University, according to the Times. He started his career in entertainment as a radio broadcaster.
Cady moved to Oregon in the 1990s with his wife, Shirley, who died in 2008.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR