Green Day's 'Broadway Idiot' Documentary to Get Theatrical Release
The film, which will arrive in theaters in October, chronicles the making of the musical stage adaptation of the hit album "American Idiot."
Broadway Idiot, which chronicles the theater adaptation of Green Day's American Idiot, is set to hit the big screen on October 18, it was announced on Thursday.
The documentary will begin a special theatrical engagement in New York on Oct. 11 before hitting theaters in the U.S. and Canada and video on demand a week later. The doc will be released by FilmBuff in partnership with Abramorama.
Directed by Doug Hamilton, the title looks at the challenges of adapting the multi-platinum punk-rock opera into the 2010 Broadway production. Broadway Idiot debuted at the South by Southwest Festival earlier this year.
"We are thrilled to be working with FilmBuff to bring the labor of love and dedication that is Broadway Idiot to everyone across the country in theaters and across all digital platforms. It's like bringing Billie Joe Armstrong and Broadway right to your doorstep," said Hamilton in a statement.
The stage adaptation of Idiot was helmed by Michael Mayer and co-written by Mayer and Armstrong. "My fear was that it was just going to be sort of absurd, not relatable and corny," recalled Armstrong about the adaptation in a new trailer for the doc.
The politically-charged album, which included two nine-minute, multi-part songs, included recurring characters named "Jesus of Suburbia" and "Whatsername" that appeared throughout the title.
Idiot drew a favorable critical response upon its release in the September just prior to the 2004 presidential election and went on to spawn multiple hit singles including "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" and "Wake Me Up When September Ends."
The title went on to be named Best Rock Album at the 2005 Grammy Awards.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Masters Of Sex, Girls & "Boogie Train": Conversations with Michael Penn and Foghat's Roger Earl
- The Americans 'New Car' Recap: "I'm a Good Person, I Swear!"
- The Extremely Hard Lessons That the Themed Entertainment Industry Learned From Hard Rock Park
- Joe Biden Posts First Selfie With None Other Than President Obama
- 'X-Men' Director Bryan Singer Accused of Sexually Abusing Underage Boy
- Jennifer Lopez is a Sexy Slice of Orange on 'American Idol'!
- Mila Kunis & Olivia Wilde Take Us on an Emotional Roller Coaster in 'Third Person' Trailer - Watch Now!
- Justin Bieber Makes Time to Show His Gratitude To Fans in Beverly Hills!