'Green Lantern,' 'Horrible Bosses' Top DVD Sales Charts
"The Lion King" reissue remains as the No. 1 Blu-ray seller for the week.
Hollywood optimism about a strong fourth quarter for Blu-ray Disc and DVD sales continued the week ending Oct. 16, as the summer tentpoles continued to roll out and score impressive first-week sales.
Warner Home Video’s Green Lantern was the top seller on the Nielsen VideoScan First Alert sales chart, even though it came out on a Friday instead of the traditional Tuesday and thus was only tracked for three rather than six days. Fellow newcomer Horrible Bosses, also from Warner, finished second.
Meanwhile, Walt Disney Studios’ Blu-ray Disc reissue of The Lion King – the 3D version of which, to the surprise of many, stormed to the top of the box office charts a month ago - remained at No. 1 on Nielsen’s dedicated Blu-ray Disc sales chart for the second consecutive week. Green Lantern was No. 2, with unit sales just a hair below, while Horrible Bosses finished third.
Earlier releases continue to sell well, particularly on Blu-ray, including Paramount’s Transformers: Dark of the Moon and Thor, 20th Century Fox’s X-Men: First Class and Star Wars: The Complete Saga and Universal Studios’ Bridesmaids and Fast Five. The latter debuted at No. 1 the previous week and finished at No. 3 last week, selling 76 percent as many units its sophomore week as newcomer Green Lantern – a surprisingly strong showing for a week-old title.
In the rental world, Sony Pictures topped Home Media Magazine’s weekly chart with the $80.3 million comedy Zookeeper, which was available across all channels, including Netflix and Redbox. Paramount’s Transformers: Dark of the Moon slipped to No. 2. On the First Alert sales chart, Zookeeper debuted at No. 6.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack