Greta Gerwig Feared 'To Rome With Love' Director Woody Allen Would Fire Her (Video)
The actress tells THR about her anxieties working with the acclaimed auteur in his latest film.
Greta Gerwig says working with Woody Allen on his latest offering, To Rome With Love, was a nerve-wracking -- but ultimately rewarding -- experience.
"I was really scared I was gonna get fired the whole time," Gerwig said Wednesday at THR and Cinema Society's screening of the Sony Pictures Classics film. "So I didn't actually tell anyone when I was in it for a few days -- and then I had to say because I was so excited. .. And then the word got out, and then I didn't get fired. So, yay!"
The rising starlet portrays an American student involved in a love triangle with her boyfriend, an aspiring architect (Jesse Eisenberg), and her friend, a self-absorbed actress (Ellen Page).
It's been a big year for Gerwig: she's also had leading roles as an OCD-addled undergrad in Whit Stillman's Damsels in Distress and as a single girl in Daryl Wein's Lola Versus.
Gerwig, 28, sings Allen's praises.
"His comedic persona is so kind of frenetic and hyper-verbose and nervous -- and he's actually a very calm, collected, quiet, direct person," she said. "He's not all over the place, he's not constantly agonizing over things, he always knows what he wants."
To Rome With Love opens Friday and also co-stars Allen, Penelope Cruz, Alec Baldwin, Roberto Benigni and Judy Davis.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Shakira Reveals Why Music Videos With Men Are 'Out Of the Question'
- Even Juan Pablo Thinks This Season Of 'The Bachelor' Has Been A Soap Opera
- DJ Cassidy Shares Details On New Album, 'Paradise Royale,' And The Resurgence Of Disco
- 7-Year-Old Stuns Viewers When She Sings 'Gloomy Sunday' By Billie Holiday (VIDEO)