SXSW 2012: Takeru Kobayashi Eats 13 Grilled Cheese Sandwiches in One Minute (Video)
The Japanese competitive eater broke a new world record at the annual festival.
The South by Southwest Interactive going on in Austin, Texas, may be about movies and music, but for 60 seconds on Sunday it was all about the grilled cheese sandwich.
Japanese competitive eater Takeru Kobayashi set a new world record by eating 13 grilled cheese sandwiches in one minute at an event held at the GroupMe Grill.
Kobayashi, 33, best known as the six-time champion of the Nathan Hot Dog eating contest, ate the baker’s dozen sandwiches by first soaking them in water. That’s 26 pieces of bread and 13 slices of American cheese.
The event took place at the GroupMe Grill, which serves grilled cheese and beer to convention goers. It was overseen by RecordSetter, an organization that tracks world records. The booth was serving grilled cheese sandwiches with the GroupMe logo burned into them.
The number of grilled cheese eaten in one minute is a new record category. Joey "Jaws" Chestnut previously ate 49 grilled cheese sandwiches in 10 minutes.
Kobayashi competed against four amateur eaters. Second place went to David Tisch, who ate four sandwiches in a minute.
Watch Kobayashi eat 13 grilled cheese in one minute below:
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR