Guillermo Del Toro Turns Down 'Star Wars: Episode VII'
The director says that his upcoming schedule is "busy enough" without adding the space opera sequel to his slate.
Scratch another high-profile director off the list of potential Star Wars: Episode VII helmers.
Hellboy and Pan's Labyrinth director Guillermo Del Toro said in a interview with Indiewire that his agent took a phone call gauging interest in directing the Star Wars film, but his schedule was already "busy enough."
"We got one phone call to my agent saying, 'Is Guillermo interested?' And basically I have so much stuff already of my own, and I'm pursuing stuff that I'm generating already...," the director told Indiewire. He later added: "It was just a phone call, it didn't go past that, it was very nice to be asked, but believe it or not, I'm busy enough."
Del Toro is the latest wish list director to shoot down speculation. J.J. Abrams, Steven Spielberg and Brad Bird are among the names of directors who have indicated they won't be involved with a Star Wars film.
The untitled Episode VII, slated to hit theaters in 2015, has tapped Michael Arndt (Toy Story 3) to pen the screenplay. THR previously reported that Lawrence Kasdan, who co-wrote The Empire Strikes Back, and Simon Kinberg also will write installments for the new series of films.
Del Toro's directorial effort, sci-fi film Pacific Rim, will hit theaters later this year.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Catherine Deneuve Kicks Off Rendez-vous With French Cinema
- Fresh Off His Oscar Win, 'Gravity' Director Alfonso Cuaron Turns To TV With 'Believe'
- 'The Dog' Filmmakers On Finding The Real-Life 'Dog Day Afternoon' Guy
- 'MasterChef' Judge Graham Elliot Shows Off Impressive 150-Pound Weight Loss On Instagram