Hacking: One Former 'News of the World' Journalist Charged, Another Set to Be Implicated
Former editor Andy Coulson was recently sentenced to 18 months in jail.
LONDON — One former News of the World journalist has been charged with being part of a phone-hacking conspiracy, and another one is set to be implicated.
Britain's Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) said Wednesday that Neil Wallis, the shuttered tabloid's former deputy editor, and Jules Stenson, the former features editor, would face the charges in court in late August.
Former News of the World editor Andy Coulson was recently sentenced to 18 months in jail for conspiring to hack phones. The tabloid was part of the U.K. arm of Rupert Murdoch's News Corp.
"The CPS has authorized the Metropolitan Police to charge Jules Stenson, former features editor of the News of the World, and to summons Neil Wallis, former deputy editor of the News of the World, with an offense of conspiracy to intercept communications," a CPS representative said in a statement Wednesday.
A CPS spokesman told THR that the summons meant that Wallis wasn't officially charged until he shows up in court. Stenson is and Wallis will be charged with conspiring with Coulson and others, according to the CPS.
The two are set to appear in London's Westminster Magistrates' Court on Aug. 21.
The CPS also said that earlier this month it decided that six other former News of the World journalists arrested last year would face no further action because of "insufficient evidence for a realistic prospect of conviction" on hacking-related allegations.