Hagen and Skarsgard Set Sail on Norwegian ‘Kon-Tiki’
True-life adventure tale is the most expensive Norwegian film ever.
COLOGNE, Germany - Two of Scandinavia’s hottest young talents - Pal Sverre Valehim Hagen and Gustaf Skarsgard - have been cast to star in one of the region’s most ambitious films: the real-life adventure tale Kon-Tiki.
Kon-Tiki is the story of scientist Thor Heyerdahl who, in 1947, sailed 5,000 miles on a wooden raft from Peru to the Polynesian Islands to prove the islands could have been populated from South America. In 1950, Heyerdahl made an documentary on his voyage, which won an Oscar.
Hagen (Troubled Water, Max Manus) will play Heyerdahl in the film. Skarsgard, the son of Stellan Skarsgard and brother of True Blood star Alexander Skarsgard, will play one of the fellow scientists that made up the Kon-Tiki crew.
Directors Espen Sandberg and Joachim Ronning, who last teamed on local box office hit Max Manus, will begin principle photography on Kon-Tiki in May. Budgeted at $11.6 million, it is billed as the most expensive Norwegian film ever.
Aage Aaberge of Denmark’s Nordisk Film is producing Kon-Tiki together with Oscar-winner Jeremy Thomas (The Last Emperor) for the U.K.’s Recorded Picture Company.
RPC’s sister company HanWay Films is handling international sales of the film and will be shopping it to buyers at the Cannes film market next month.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- Glenn Beck Moves Into Movie Production (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Kim Kardashian's Nuptials to Kanye West Could Be the Wedding of the Century!
- Miranda Kerr Will Chop Off Her Long Hair One Day, Be Prepared!
- Katie Holmes Shows Star Power Right Before Tribeca Film Festival Kicks Off!
- Ryan Lochte & Ireland Baldwin Are Proud American Icons for Calvin Klein White Label's Campaign!