Hank Williams Jr. Walks Off Stage at CMT Event
The country singer was taping a duet with Jason Aldean when he abruptly left the stage.
It’s been more than a month since country singer Hank Williams Jr. came under fire for some comments he made comparing President Barack Obama to Hitler, and it looks like Williams may be back in the spotlight for his head-turning behavior.
During the taping of CMT’s Artist of the Year Event on Tuesday, Williams abruptly walked off the stage – in the middle of a performance.
Williams was performing with honoree Jason Aldean when he left mid-song. Williams was performing Aldean’s song, “Tattoos on This Town.”
Williams’ rep told USA Today that Williams felt his performance was not “adequate,” and said that he wanted to honor his friend Aldean that night. "Turning in a poor performance would only ruin that effort.,” said the rep.
Williams issued his own statement, telling Country Weekly that "I've heard people mess up my songs and screw up [Hank Williams Sr.] songs. I was here to honor Jason, a kid I really like. When I walked out there, it didn't feel right, it didn't sound right. I didn't want to disrespect him."
Aldean ended up re-performing the song without Williams. Aldean joined Brad Paisley, Kenny Chesney, Lady Antebellum and Taylor Swift as this year’s nominees. The show will air on December 13 at 9 p.m. ET.
Hank Williams found himself in the media spotlight after he made surprisingly sharp comments about President Obama on Fox News' Fox & Friends in October.
The singer started in with a political discussion, saying Speaker of the House John Boehner's golf game with President Obama was "one of the biggest political mistakes ever."
"It's like Hitler playing golf with [Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin] Netanyahu," he said.
Soon after, Williams’ song "All My Rowdy Friends" was pulled as ESPN’s Monday Night Football opener.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack