Happy Birthday, Grace Coddington! Her 10 Best Fashion Quotes, Ever
The 'Vogue' creative director (and uber fashionable cat lady) turns 74 on April 20, and to celebrate we've rounded up her best nuggets of wisdom from fifty plus years the fashion game.
As one of fashion's most important behind-the-scenes ladies, Vogue creative director, former model and star of The September Issue documentary Grace Coddington knows a thing or two about the field. In honor of her 74th birthday on April 20 (and her more than 50 years in the cut-throat world of fashion) we've rounded up some of her most interesting musings about the industry (and cats).
1. “They could be pretty bitchy, those fashion mad French girls.” - Grace: A Memoir, 2012
2. “There are a lot of crazies in this industry. But there are sane people too — you just have to weed them out.” - The Guardian interview, 2012
3. “I still weave dreams, finding inspiration wherever I can and looking for romance in the real, not the digital, world.” - Grace: A Memoir, 2012
4. “I can, too, be a bitch sometimes.” - Grace: A Memoir, 2012
5. “Do I dream very much? Do I dream predominantly about fashion? No. I dream much more about cats.” - Grace: A Memoir, 2012
6. “In New York, I'm cat central: Absolutely everyone calls me for advice.” - Grace: A Memoir, 2012
7. “I prefer imperfections — they’re more interesting. Perfect is boring.” - The Guardian interview, 2012
8. “Fashion isn’t just frocks. It’s how we do our houses, our gardens, it’s what we eat and drink.” - More Intelligent Life, 2011
9. “Keep your eyes open. Because whatever you see can inspire you.” - Grace: A Memoir, 2012
10. "My feeling has always been that people should concentrate on their jobs, and not all this fashionable 'I want to be a celebrity' shit." - The Guardian interview, 2012