Harman new chairman at MediaWorks NZ

Empty

SYDNEY -- Longtime New Zealand media executive Brent Harman has been tapped as chairman of New Zealand television and radio broadcaster MediaWorks NZ Ltd. The move comes in the wake of its purchase in June by Australian private equity group Ironbridge Capital.

Ironbridge subsidiary HT Media said Monday that Harman, a former CEO of Television New Zealand, was invited to join MediaWorks' board and will become its chairman once the company's purchase from Canadian broadcaster CanWest Global Communications is complete.

Current TVNZ chairman Kerry McIntosh previously announced his intention to step aside but will remain as a director.

Harman's media career, which spans 28 years, has included stints as CEO of U.K. digital broadcaster Telewest Plc. and Australian regional TV network Prime Television.

MediaWorks CEO Brent Impey will stay on board in his current position.

"Brent and I have been industry colleagues for more than 25 years, and his reputation goes before him as a passionate broadcaster, with an instinctive understanding of broadcast media, and its business model," Impey said. "I look forward to working alongside Brent as we foster and grow our organization to take full advantage of the strong brands we have in New Zealand media already."

HT Media acquired 82.6% of MediaWorks from CanWest in June for $283 million and is finalizing its acquisition of the remaining 17.4%.

MediaWorks operates free-to-air TV network TV3, music channel C4 and six radio networks and 27 radio station across New Zealand.
comments powered by Disqus