News Corp. in Early Talks With CBS Corp. to Buy Simon & Schuster; Would Create Second Book-Publishing Giant (Report)
News of the possible deal, which would merge News Corp.'s HarperCollins with the publisher, follows on the heels of Random House and Penguin's merger announcement.
News Corp.-owed HarperCollins is in very early talks to buy CBS Corp.'s Simon & Schuster, the Wall Street Journal reported Tuesday, citing anonymous sources.
The deal could potentially be worth between $2 billion and $3 billion, according to reports.
The news comes on the heels of another big merger in the publishing world, that of Random House and Penguin, whose deal was announced Oct. 29. The companies are expected to become Penguin Random House late next year.
Pending approval, German media conglomerate Bertelsmann will own 53 percent of the new venture, and U.K.-based Pearson 47 percent. The company will boast $4 billion in revenue and control about 25 percent of the worldwide consumer book market.
News Corp. reportedly made a bid for Penguin too, offering $1.6 billion for the publishing house.
Meanwhile, a HarperCollins/Simon & Schuster merger would reduce the publishing world's current "big six" companies to two large publishers and two smaller ones, Macmillan and Hachette, as noted by the L.A. Times.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- DJ Cassidy Shares Details On New Album, 'Paradise Royale,' And The Resurgence Of Disco
- 7-Year-Old Stuns Viewers When She Sings 'Gloomy Sunday' By Billie Holiday (VIDEO)
- The CW's 'Star Crossed' Is The Classic WB Show You've Been Waiting For
- Love 'Cosmos?' Then NASA's 'Images Of A Space-Time Odyssey' Will Make Your Jaw Drop (PHOTOS)