Harrison Ford Won't Be Fined For Airplane Landing Incident
The actor landed his private plane on the wrong runway of the Orange County Airport in February.
Harrison Ford is in the clear.
The Star Wars and Indiana Jones actor will be not fined or otherwise punished for landing his single-engine Aviat Husky on the wrong runway of the Orange County Airport in February, The Hollywood Reporter confirmed through Ford's attorney, Stephen Hofer, of Aerlex Law Group.
"The Federal Aviation Administration has notified Mr. Ford that the agency has closed its inquiry into his landing at the Santa Ana, Orange County Airport on February 13, 2017," Hofer said, reading from a statement. "The FAA conducted a full investigation into the matter, including an interview with Mr. Ford, and determined that no administrative or enforcement action was warranted. Mr. Ford retains his pilot’s certificate without restriction."
Ford landed on a taxiway, not the runway he was cleared for, according to authorities. The FAA's review included examining the radio transmissions, video and radar data, Hofer said.
"They concluded that, first of all, Mr. Ford never placed anyone at risk," Hofer told THR. "His aircraft passed over at a very substantial distance from the airliner. The landing on the taxiway was in part driven by a warning that he had been given that an airbus that was many times larger than his Husky, was landing on the parallel runway. There was a strong likelihood that he would be exposed to very significant wake turbulence. He made a course adjustment and that affected the landing. And that is how he ended up on the taxiway way instead of the parallel runway, which should be noted is really very close."
Ford has held a pilot’s certificate for more than 20 years and has logged more than 5,000 hours in the air, and has never been the subject of an FAA administrative or enforcement action, Hofer noted.
The FAA also released a statement.
"The FAA has completed its investigation of the incident in which a pilot landed on a taxiway at John Wayne Airport on Feb. 13, 2017. The FAA does not comment on cases involving individual airmen," the statement read.