Harry Kullijian, Carol Channing's Husband, Dies
The actress and former city councilman wed 70 years after going to middle school together.
Harry Kullijian, the husband of Carol Channing who reunited with the actress 70 years after they attended middle school, died Monday at Eisenhower Medical Center in Rancho Mirage, Calif., on the eve of his 92nd birthday.
Kullijian, who married Channing in 2003, died after suffering an aneurism at the couple’s home in the area.
In her 2002 memoir, Just Lucky, I Guess, Channing reflected on her first love at Aptos Middle School in San Francisco, saying, “I was so in love with Harry I couldn’t stop hugging him.”
A mutual friend who read the book urged the recently widowed Kullijian, a former Modesto city councilman, to call Channing. They got engaged two weeks after their reunion and wed three months later.
Channing, 90, the star of Hello, Dolly! on Broadway and such films as Thoroughly Modern Millie (1967), and Kullijian established the Dr. Carol Channing and Harry Kullijian Foundation to support arts education in schools.
In addition to Channing, Kullijian is survived by son John, daughter Leslee and five grandchildren. No services are planned. Donations can be made to the Channing-Kullijian foundation in Los Altos, Calif.
Countdown to the Oscars
- Sandra Bullock to Make $70 Million (At Least) for 'Gravity'
- '12 Years a Slave': Solomon Northup's Descendants Gather for THR Photo Shoot, Reflect on His Legacy
- 20 Feet From Movie Stardom: The Overlooked Story of Hollywood's Greatest Extra
- Six Top Directors on Fighting With Studios, Firing Actors and Quitting Film School
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Jared Leto Is Stressed About His Potential Oscar Speech
- Maya Angelou Shares The Advice She'd Give Her Younger Self (VIDEO)
- Red Carpet Protesters Ask For Yearly Wages That Add Up To At Least One Oscar Gown
- Kristen Ellis-Henderson and Cathy Henderson of Antigone Rising Talk New EP Supporting LGBT Rights (AUDIO)