'Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows: Part 2' Breaks Australian Box Office Record
The final film in the 'Harry Potter' franchise has the biggest opening day ever Down Under.
SYDNEY -- The box office figures from the final installment of the Harry Potter franchise have started rolling in and they won’t disappoint Warner Bros.
Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows: Part 2 smashed opening day figures for the Australian box office, distributor Roadshow Films said on Friday.
Opening at 12.01 am local time on Wednesday, July 13, the film took AUS$7.02 million ($7.44 million) in 24 hours, eclipsing previous record holder, Lord Of The Rings: Return Of The King by nearly $1.8 million. Australia was one of the first markets in the world in which the film opened.
”We’re thrilled to see this powerful response from such a broad range of moviegoers. These incredible results are a testament to the incredible achievement of the filmmakers, cast, and, of course, J.K. Rowling, and should ensure the film series’ place in history for years to come,” Joel Pearlman, Roadshow Films managing director said, indicating that the result should help cement the Harry Potter series as the top-grossing film franchise of all time, a milestone it reached with the combined success of the first five films.
Certainly the result was not unexpected. The film is opening here in the lucrative school holiday period and on 753 screens was the widest opening for any film ever in Australia.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Experience The Controlled Chaos Behind Cuba Gooding Jr.'s 1997 Oscars Acceptance Speech
- John Gallagher Jr. On The Upcoming Final Season Of 'The Newsroom'
- A-Sides with Jon Chattman: Gedeon Luke Keeps the Soul Train Moving ; Viv and the Revival Breaks Your Heart
- Comcast To Charge Insane Amount For A Single Season Of 'House Of Cards'