Warner Bros. Pulling 'Harry Potter' DVDs, Blu-ray Discs From Store Shelves
The studio will stop shipping the home video titles to retailers Dec. 29 as part of an effort clearly intended to boost sales.
Warner Bros. said Monday that it plans to stop shipping Harry Potter DVDs and Blu-ray Discs to retailers at the end of the year.
The move, which is clearly intended to boost sales of the biggest box office franchise of all time, will take effect as of Dec. 29.
Warners said it will stop shipping all titles, including box sets and special and limited editions. That includes the final title in the franchise, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2, which hits stores Nov. 11, as well as Harry Potter: The Complete 8-Film Collection.
Disney employs a similar strategy with its home video titles, pulling them from shelves for a period of time before making them available again at a later date.
The Harry Potter film franchise has grossed more than $12.1 billion for Warner Bros. Entertainment -- with $7 billion at the worldwide box office for Warner Bros. Pictures and $5.1 billion for Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group and Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment.
The last film, Deathly Hallows Part 2, was released in theaters July 15 and went on to earn more than $1.3 billion at the worldwide box office.
The franchise stars Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson and Rupert Grint.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- The Hollywood Reporter's Top 25 Stylist, Revealed
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Grant Gustin Is Proud & Stoked to Wear 'Flash' Costume!
- Angelina Jolie Reveals She Will Have Another Preventative Cancer Surgery
- Shailene Woodley Slams 'Twilight' to 'Teen Vogue': It's About An Unhealthy, Toxic Relationship
- Sarah Michelle Gellar & James Wolk Are 'The Crazy Ones' at Hall of Fame Gala!