Hasbro in Talks for Fourth 'Transformers' Movie, Cuts 'Ouija' Budget
CEO Brian Goldner says the toy giant continues to have a slew of films in development, but won't make their own films like Marvel.
NEW YORK - Hasbro CEO Brian Goldner said Monday that the toy giant is in active discussions with studio partner Paramount, director Michael Bay and Steven Spielberg about a potential fourth Transformers movie, adding he hopes to have news to share in the next quarter.
Speaking on his company's third-quarter earnings conference call, he also said that Hasbro continues to develop entertainment projects based on its brands - despite some delays and challenges. "We continue to actively develop a number of additional Hasbro films with great partners and writers, including Micronauts, Ouija, Candyland, Risk, Stretch Armstrong, Clue and Monopoly," he said.
Asked about the state of Hasbro's movie plans after Universal previously dropped a planned Ouija film due to budget concerns, Goldner said the partners are still working on Stretch Armstrong and Candyland and have Battleship coming out next year, putting the company in good shape.
On Ouija, he drew a comparison to Walt Disney's recent decision to restructure the budget for The Lone Ranger. That is "the same process we have gone through on the Ouija brand," although at a lower level of spending, he said. Goldner added that the script is in good shape and is being polished now, meaning that the film could be back with a studio shortly.
Meanwhile, a Micronauts script is being written for this project with JJ Abrams at Paramount, and the Monopoly, Risk and Clue scripts are also being worked on, according to the CEO. Plus, other projects are also in the works, even though they have not been announced yet, he added.
Would Hasbro ever produce its own movies? "No, we would not employ…a Marvel strategy," Goldner said.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack