'Hatfields & McCoys' Dominates Home Entertainment Charts
The History Channel mini-series sold about twice as many copies as the No. 2 title, "The Dark Knight."
In a market without many major new releases, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment’s Hatfields & McCoys easily topped Nielsen VideoScan’s First Alert Sales chart for the week ending Aug. 5.
The miniseries about the famous family feud set cable-viewing records when it aired in May, and in its first week on shelves it old about twice as many copies as the No. 2 title, Warner’s The Dark Knight.
The previous week’s top seller, Warner’s Batman Begins, slipped to No. 3 on First Alert, which tracks overall disc sales, but did manage to maintain its spot atop VideoScan’s dedicated Blu-ray Disc sales chart.
Hatfields & McCoys was No. 2 on the Blu-ray chart, selling 34% of its copies in the high-def format. Blu-ray accounted for 71% of Batman Begins sales and 61% of sales for The Dark Knight, which dropped to third on the BD chart.
Among other new releases, the Miley Cyrus vehicle LOL from Lionsgate debuted at No. 8 on First Alert.
Lionsgate’s new Total Recall: Mind-Bending Edition Blu-ray of the 1990 film, released in anticipation of the theatrical remake, debuted at No. 5 on the Blu-ray chart and pushed total disc sales of the Arnold Schwarzenegger classic to No. 11 on First Alert (80% of sales were of the new Blu-ray).
Likewise, anticipation for upcoming The Bourne Legacy drove Universal Studios’ The Bourne Trilogy to No. 18 on First Alert and No. 9 on the BD chart.
On Home Media Magazine’s weekly rental chart, the top three titles remained the same, with Fox’s Mirror Mirror leading the way, followed by two Sony Pictures titles: Lockout and 21 Jump Street.
For complete DVD and Blu-ray sales and rental charts, visit HomeMediaMagazine.com.
- Danny Boyle in Talks to Direct Steve Jobs Movie, Leonardo DiCaprio Eyed to Star
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- A-Sides with Jon Chattman: Alexz Johnson Living "American Dream;" Pace & Revi and a Bicoastal "Hurricane"
- 'Game Of Thrones' Co-Star Reveals Lena Headey Had 'Mixed Feelings' About That Controversial Rape Scene
- Givin' 'Em Hell and Heaven: Conversations With Joe Satriani and Sebastian Bach
- Angel Haze Slams Homophobia In Hip-Hop, Discusses Sexuality
- Shantel VanSanten Leaves the 'Gang' Behind for Night of Music!
- Neil Patrick Harris Gets Support From Partner David Burtka at Opening Night of 'Hedwig and the Angry Inch'!
- 'Frozen' Soundtrack Nabs Its Biggest Sales Week, Stays at Number 1 for 11th Week
- Reese Witherspoon is All About Peeps in Her Easter Baskets!