HBO Unveils Scandinavian Joint Venture as Netflix Also Plans Nordic Launch
"HBO Nordic" will be a multi-platform video distribution venture, with more details to be announced soon.
Time Warner's HBO on Wednesday said it has agreed to launch HBO Nordic, a multi-platform video distribution joint venture with European pay TV veteran Peter Ekelund and his company Parsifal International, that will serve Sweden, Norway, Finland and Denmark.
The news comes after video streaming provider and HBO rival Netflix earlier in the day had unveiled its own launch in the same countries.
Further details about the new HBO service "will be announced in Sweden at the end of the month," the company said.
“HBO is delighted to be entering into a new marketplace and a promising partnership with Parsifal International,” said Simon Sutton, president, HBO international and content distribution. “We look forward to working with this innovative company and making our new venture a great success.”
Said pay TV veteran and Parsifal owner Ekelund: “The Nordic pay TV market has a tremendous growth potential for new innovative services which respond to the existing shifts in consumer viewing habits on multiple screens. Parsifal will bring its expertise in the distribution of pay TV services on multiple platforms.”
Privately held Parsifal specializes in new media offers throughout Europe. Its URHOtv unit "has become the leading sports TV service in Finland with a unique offering covering linear pay TV, web TV and mobile," it said.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game
- George Lopez Returns With 'Saint George' And Talks Diversity On Television (VIDEO)