'Headhunters' Beats 'The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo' in Norwegian Bow
The adaptation of the Jo Nesbo bestseller marks the second best opening ever for a Norwegian film.
BERLIN -- Norwegian crime thriller Headhunters killed on its local bow, taking $1.85 million in its first week in release, beating out the opening of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo in the territory. The Headhunters bow marks the second-best opening ever for a Norwegian film, behind World War II epic Max Manus.
Both Headhunters and Max Manus feature Norwegian star Aksel Hennie. Directed by Morten Tyldum, Headhunters is based on the best-seller by Jo Nesbo and follows Roger, a successful corporate headhunter and secret art thief. After a big job goes bad, he is forced to run for his life.
Many had questioned whether Norwegian audiences would avoid Headhunters' violent storyline in the wake of the real-life massacre in the country last month. Headhunters international prospects already look bright. TrustNordisk has sold the film to over 30 countries, with Magnolia picking it up for a U.S. release.
Headhunters will have its North American debut at the Toronto Film Festival next month.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Amanda Seyfried and Cara Delevingne are Joining Pan
- Theater Review: Michelle Williams and Alan Cumming Come (Back) to the Cabaret
- Christopher Meloni on Surviving Jack, Surviving Dinosaurs, and Why His Oz Character Was Revolutionary
- Hedwig and the Angry Inch Director on Those Fake Hurt Locker Playbills