'Headhunters' Beats 'The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo' in Norwegian Bow
The adaptation of the Jo Nesbo bestseller marks the second best opening ever for a Norwegian film.
BERLIN -- Norwegian crime thriller Headhunters killed on its local bow, taking $1.85 million in its first week in release, beating out the opening of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo in the territory. The Headhunters bow marks the second-best opening ever for a Norwegian film, behind World War II epic Max Manus.
Both Headhunters and Max Manus feature Norwegian star Aksel Hennie. Directed by Morten Tyldum, Headhunters is based on the best-seller by Jo Nesbo and follows Roger, a successful corporate headhunter and secret art thief. After a big job goes bad, he is forced to run for his life.
Many had questioned whether Norwegian audiences would avoid Headhunters' violent storyline in the wake of the real-life massacre in the country last month. Headhunters international prospects already look bright. TrustNordisk has sold the film to over 30 countries, with Magnolia picking it up for a U.S. release.
Headhunters will have its North American debut at the Toronto Film Festival next month.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR