Henry Winkler Honored by The Queen
Winkler, who played the Fonz in the classic U.S. sitcom "Happy Days," has been awarded an honorary OBE for his educational work on dyslexia in the U.K.
LONDON - Henry Winkler has been appointed an honorary OBE at the British embassy in Washington DC, according to the BBC.
The actor-turned-children's author, who was diagnosed with dyslexia as an adult, said he was "overwhelmed" to have his work recognized.
In the past two years, he has toured schools in the U.K., talking about the learning disability.
Winkler posted a photograph of himself sporting his medal on Twitter: "Here I am with my OBE pinned on very honored very proud…"
He spoke to BBC Breakfast of his delight at the "unexpected" honor.
"I got a letter from the Queen saying she graciously agreed to confer on me the OBE," he said.
He is the author of the Hank Zipzer children's book series, which features a young dyslexic protagonist.
Zipzer's adventures are based on Winkler's own childhood struggles with school and the resulting bullying.
The author said visiting U.K. schools was "one of his favorite things to do".
British ambassador Nigel Sheinwald presented the OBE to Winkler during the ceremony at the embassy.
Mr Sheinwald said: "Through [Winkler], thousands of young people have seen a role model and an inspiration for overcoming their learning challenges."
The Queen makes honorary awards to non-British citizens on the advice of the U.K. Foreign Office. It is not clear whether she is a fan of the Fonz.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game
- George Lopez Returns With 'Saint George' And Talks Diversity On Television (VIDEO)