Herman Cain Cancels Private Dinner With Media A-Listers Including Barbara Walters, Matt Lauer (Report)
Republican presidential candidate Herman Cain has reportedly canceled a private dinner with Barbara Walters, Matt Lauer and other high-profile TV personalities in the wake of allegations that he had a 13-year affair with an Atlanta woman.
The guest list for the dinner, which had been planned for Sunday, also included Bill O'Reilly, Lesley Stahl and Greta Van Susteren, the latter of whom recently interviewed Cain and his family on her Fox News show, On the Record.
Van Susteren also happens to be married to lawyer John Coale, who is a friend of Cain’s and serves as one of his advisers.
According to local news station NY1, Cain had reached out to the New York Post's Cindy Adams to host the event at her apartment on Park Avenue so he could meet with the group of media A-listers.
But Adams told NY1 that Coale had called her Tuesday morning, asking her to cancel the dinner in case he decides to end his campaign.
The news comes a day after Atlanta businesswoman Ginger White alleged that she had a 13-year extramarital affair with Cain that ended just before he announced his candidacy for president.
Cain denied the allegations.
"Through my attorney, we will respond to every detail and every allegation, but I just wanted to give you a heads up and your audience a heads up. Here we go again," he told CNN.
Still, Cain told staffers Tuesday morning that he was reassessing his campaign and would make a decision about whether to remain in the race in the "next several days."
The allegations mark the latest setback for Cain's campaign. Several other women have already come forward accusing the former Godfather's Pizza CEO of sexual harassment.
“Now with this latest one, we have to do an assessment as to whether or not this is going to create too much of a cloud in some people’s minds as to whether or not they should support us going forward,” he told his staff Tuesday, as quoted by the Des Moines Register.
Meanwhile, his spokesman J.D. Gordon insisted to the Washington Post that Cain is "not thinking of dropping out of the race."