HGTV Canada touts female demos
TORONTO -- Riding the country's property boom with popular real estate shows, HGTV Canada (Home and Garden TV) has jumped into first place among Canadian cable channels in the race for female viewers ages 25-54, parent Alliance Atlantis Communications said Thursday.
Toronto-based broadcaster Alliance Atlantis, recently acquired by Goldman Sachs & Co. and Canadian partner CanWest Global Communications, said that HGTV Canada in the last year surged from second place into first in the female 25-54 demo by surpassing rival W Network, Canada's womens' cable channel, owned and operated by Corus Entertainment.
Alliance Atlantis said April 2-June 24 Nielsen numbers for HGTV Canada indicate a year-to-year 26% surge in 25-54 viewership, with its weekly reach currently standing at 3.1 million viewers.
The Nielsen numbers spotlight growing appeal among female viewers for homegrown real estate shows like "Buy Me," "Location, Location, Location" and "House Hunters," all stripped Monday to Friday, while traditional home-renovation shows like "Holmes on Homes" do better among male viewers than women.
For its part, the W Network insists it remains atop the 18+, 18-34 and 18-49 demos, and is in a virtual tie with HGTV Canada in the 25-54 demo.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Kim Kardashian's Nuptials to Kanye West Could Be the Wedding of the Century!
- Miranda Kerr Will Chop Off Her Long Hair One Day, Be Prepared!
- Katie Holmes Shows Star Power Right Before Tribeca Film Festival Kicks Off!
- Ryan Lochte & Ireland Baldwin Are Proud American Icons for Calvin Klein White Label's Campaign!