Hong Kong Filmart: Singapore's mm2 Partners With Smart Limited
The two companies will shoot two co-productions this year, beginning with "ATM" from veteran Hong Kong TV actor Ha Yu.
Singapore production company mm2 Entertainment and Hong Kong’s Smart Limited have announced a new pact to co-produce two upcoming projects, beginning with a sweet financial-crisis inspired comedy called ATM. The announcement was made on the sales floor of Filmart in Hong Kong Tuesday afternoon.
Produced by veteran Hong Kong TV actor Ha Yu, ATM is scheduled to begin production in August. The film tells the story of four cash-strapped friends who attempt to break into an ATM cash machine. They fail in their initial attempt and stash the machine in the basement of an abandoned building, only to find that the place has been taken over by an old-age home when they return to try to get the money. In order to access the hidden machine, the friends take jobs at the new organization, caring for its colorful elderly wards.
Later, in October, mm2 and Smart will begin shooting a second project, Black Magic, a horror film based on actual events, according to mm2.
"Through this partnership, mm2 entertainment hopes to contribute to Hong Kong’s rich cinema history and encourage future collaboration between Singapore and Hong Kong’s film industries," mm2 said in a statement.
Founded in 2009, mm2 has quickly established itself in Southeast Asia, producing Singapore's highest-grossing film ever in 2012, Ah Boys to Men 2, by local director Jack Neo. Beyond Singapore, the company now has offices in Shanghai, Beijing and Taiwan.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Johnny Depp & Amber Heard Hold Hands at 'Cabaret' Opening!
- Emma Stone & Felicity Jones Bring Girl Power to 'Amazing Spider-Man 2' Premiere!
- Andrew Garfield Rides Bus with Underprivileged Kids to 'Amazing Spider-Man 2' Premiere!
- Olivia Munn Insisted Her 'Newsroom' Character Sloane Not Wear Turtlenecks!