Hong Kong's Asia Television Leads with Former Chinese Leader Jiang Zemin Death Coverage
Searches and microblog posts on the former president are being removed by Chinese censors.
HONG KONG – Asia Television (ATV) reported the death of Jiang Zemin, the former leader of the People’s Republic of China, in a primetime news story Wednesday.
Citing unnamed Beijing sources, the breaking news report on its Cantonese-language Home channel announced Jiang’s death and recounted his rise to the top of the Chinese government and myriad achievements during his lifetime. No cause of death was given. A special program on Jiang’s life was scheduled for three-and-a-half hours later and advertised extensively on the channel, but the program was cancelled shortly before its scheduled broadcast.
Jiang’s death report was repeated during ATV Home’s late news, also citing Beijing sources, but with the added line “authorities have not yet announced the news.”
No mention of the rumor or the death of the former PRC president, general secretary of the Communist Party of China was made on the terrestrial Television Broadcast or on NOW TV, ATV’s rival channels in Hong Kong.
ATV is owned by Shanghai property tycoon Wang Zheng and Wong Ben-koon, a relative.
China’s blogosphere began churning out rumors of Jiang’s death on Tuesday night, but posts were quickly deleted and searches on Jiang on microblogs were later blocked.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Shakira Reveals Why Music Videos With Men Are 'Out Of the Question'
- Even Juan Pablo Thinks This Season Of 'The Bachelor' Has Been A Soap Opera
- DJ Cassidy Shares Details On New Album, 'Paradise Royale,' And The Resurgence Of Disco
- 7-Year-Old Stuns Viewers When She Sings 'Gloomy Sunday' By Billie Holiday (VIDEO)