'Hop' Beats 'Arthur' at Weekend Box Office
UPDATED: "Rio" scores best opening of 2011 of any film anywhere; "Hanna" and "Soul Surfer" overperform domestically.
The biggest box office headline of the weekend was overseas, where 20th Century Fox’s toon Rio opened to $55 million to score the top debut of 2011 for any title anywhere. In the U.S., Russell Brand’s new comedy Arthur lost badly to holdover family film Hop -- which the British actor voices - -and, in a last-minute upset, lost to Focus Features' Hanna as well.
Subscribe now to read the full article
- Read The Hollywood Reporter on any mobile device
- Email complete articles to clients or colleagues
- Interactive Radio: listen to the topics or headlines that interest you
- RSS Feed: read in a timely manner with easy to find content
- Read Offline: locate issues and articles easily at any time, no internet connection needed
Already a Subscriber? Log In
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR