Hot Docs to Honor Debra Zimmerman of Women Make Movies
The New York City-based distributor of films about and by women will receive the prestigious Doc Mogul Award at North America's largest documentary festival.
TORONTO – Veteran film distributor Debra Zimmerman of New York City-based Women Make Movies will receive the prestigious Doc Mogul Award at the upcoming Hot Docs Canadian International Documentary Festival.
Zimmerman will be feted for supporting female doc makers since 1983, having made Women Make Movies as executive director the largest distributor of films by and about women.
“During her tenure, Women Make Movies has helped hundreds of female filmmakers create and distribute game-changing, award-winning and mind-blowing films,” Hot Docs executive director Chris McDonald said in unveiling the Zimmerman tribute.
Past winners of the Doc Mogul Award include Participant Media’s Diane Weyermann last year, IDFA’s Ally Derks, Films Transit International’s Jan Rofekamp, HBO’s Sheila Nevins and BBC’s doc commissioner Nick Fraser.
The Hot Docs festival is set to run from April 25 to May 5 in Toronto.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Bryan Singer Addresses Sexual Abuse Allegations: They Are 'Outrageous' & 'Completely False'
- Elizabeth Banks Attends Screening for 'Walk of Shame', Wears Two Dresses!
- 'Jem & the Holograms' Leading Cast Revealed: Aubrey Peeples, Stefanie Scott, & More!
- Novak Djokovic Expecting First Child with Fiancee Jelena Ristic!