Hot Docs to Honor Debra Zimmerman of Women Make Movies
The New York City-based distributor of films about and by women will receive the prestigious Doc Mogul Award at North America's largest documentary festival.
TORONTO – Veteran film distributor Debra Zimmerman of New York City-based Women Make Movies will receive the prestigious Doc Mogul Award at the upcoming Hot Docs Canadian International Documentary Festival.
Zimmerman will be feted for supporting female doc makers since 1983, having made Women Make Movies as executive director the largest distributor of films by and about women.
“During her tenure, Women Make Movies has helped hundreds of female filmmakers create and distribute game-changing, award-winning and mind-blowing films,” Hot Docs executive director Chris McDonald said in unveiling the Zimmerman tribute.
Past winners of the Doc Mogul Award include Participant Media’s Diane Weyermann last year, IDFA’s Ally Derks, Films Transit International’s Jan Rofekamp, HBO’s Sheila Nevins and BBC’s doc commissioner Nick Fraser.
The Hot Docs festival is set to run from April 25 to May 5 in Toronto.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Neil Patrick Harris is the Theatrical Man of the Year at Hasty Pudding Awards!
- President Barack Obama & Zach Galifianakis Throw Insults Back & Forth for 'Between Two Ferns' (Video)
- Kristen Bell Makes a Switcheroo for 'Veronica Mars' Premiere After Party!
- Lena Dunham to 'Glamour': I Don't Know if I Want to Continue Acting