'House of Cards' Is Netflix's Most-Streamed Show
Chief content officer Ted Sarandos, though, would not provide details.
House of Cards is the most-watched streaming title at Netflix, chief content officer Ted Sarandos said Tuesday.
Sarandos, though, said he has “no motivation” to share actual numbers because episodes run without commercials.
Netflix has paid $100 million for two seasons of House of Cards, a political drama starring Kevin Spacey and Robin Wright and produced by Media Rights Capital. It's arguably the most high-profile title in Netflix's foray into original programming.
On Feb. 1, Netflix made the first 13 episodes available to subscribers for streaming, and another sign that the show is popular is that viewers who sample the show usually watch multiple episodes.
Sarandos was speaking at the D: Dive Into Media conference at the Ritz-Carlton in Laguna Niguel on Tuesday.
“We’re thrilled,” Sarandos said, adding that he thinks Netflix got more bang for its buck out of House of Cards than it would have using the same amount of money to license more traditional TV content.
A Netflix spokesman clarified that while House of Cards is more popular than all other TV titles available for streaming, some film titles are more popular.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR