House Dem.: Stephen Colbert embarrassed self
Steny Hoyer calls testimony on immigration 'inappropriate'
The House majority leader said Sunday that Stephen Colbert embarrassed himself last week with his "inappropriate" testimony on immigration.
"I think it was an embarrassment for Mr. Colbert more than the House," Steny Hoyer of Maryland said on "Fox News Sunday" of the testimony, which reportedly had some laughing and others groaning.
Colbert had been invited to appear before the House Judiciary Committee by Democratic Rep. Zoe Lofgren of California, but other Democrats weren't happy about her decision.
"I think that he mocked the hearing process," Rep. Steve King, a Republican from Iowa, said Friday after the hearing, the New York Daily News reported.
The committee chairman, Rep. John Conyers, D-Mich., asked Colbert to leave the room at the beginning of the hearing because the comedian had no expertise in farm labor issues or immigration policy.
Lofgren spokesman Pedro Ribeiro declined to comment to Associated Press on Sunday.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR