How to Clothe 6,000 Men
Veteran costumer Joanna Johnston, the descendant of a grenadier, describes her work as "a military operation. I was scared going into it."
Costume designer Joanna Johnston had a personal connection to World War I that added emotional resonance to War Horse: "I had an ancestor named George Cecil -- whom we have a painting of at home -- and he went to war in the grenadiers on horseback," says the British native. "He was 18 when he went and within six months he died."
Subscribe now to read the full article
- Read The Hollywood Reporter on any mobile device
- Email complete articles to clients or colleagues
- Interactive Radio: listen to the topics or headlines that interest you
- RSS Feed: read in a timely manner with easy to find content
- Read Offline: locate issues and articles easily at any time, no internet connection needed
Already a Subscriber? Log In
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR